A little over 40 years ago, a small group of stores organized around a commitment to financial benchmarking with stores most similar to their own, in order to improve performance and demonstrate their value to the campuses they served. The mission
of the LSG is to unite large independent university stores and provide opportunities for networking, information sharing, and education that address the needs of the membership.
Independent stores serving a two-year or four-year university are eligible to join LSG if they meet at least one of the following sales volume criteria:
- At least $7M in total annual sales
- Previous or current LSG Member with total sales of at least $5M.
- At least $3M in General Merchandise, exclusive of computer hardware/tablet sales (but including computer supplies/accessories)
- Interested stores who do not meet a minimum sales volume criterion would still be eligible to join, with consideration given to a combination of similar complexities, common challenges, and like-mindedness, if they meet one (or more) of the following criteria:
- Staff size: 12 or more full time staff
- Two or more retail locations
- 15,000 or more in FTE student enrollment
Now that LSG is affiliated with ICBA, dues have been eliminated and replaced by cost-recovery fees for participating in LSG activities (including attending the Annual Meeting and participating in the ICSR - Independent College Stores Report). Completing the Full Version of the ICSR is required for Membership in LSG, but for LSG Members who are also ICBA Members, the ICSR fees are included as part of your ICBA Membership.
Wondering if LSG Membership is right for you, or simply want to know more about the organization? Check out the Frequently Asked Questions below.